Wednesday 18 February 2015

Day 5: Forcing Yourself to Write Even When You Don't Want To (with tiny goals)

I actually had to double-check that today was Day 5 of writing. I very nearly didn't write today, because it's late and I have to be up early to try to catch one of the shuttles into work tomorrow. And also because I felt really distant from the book all day today, like I don't know the characters or the world or any of it yet. Whenever I thought about it today, I couldn't picture it. In fact, I'm still having a little trouble picturing it. I wonder if that's what happens when you spend so much time working on the same chapter day after day (even if it's only been a couple of days). If you start to lose sight of the bigger picture of the whole book. (Or if that's what happens when you spend the entire day watching Friends instead of brainstorming.)

But I knew that if I didn't write, I'd feel guilty. So I sat down, promising myself that I only had to write 400 words and then I could go to bed and read someone else's book. But instead, I actually got over 700 words done! So not awesome, but much better than I thought I'd do.

Words written: 727
Total words written: 6,005
Chapter written: Worked on Chapter 2

No comments:

Post a Comment